Private
Rep
Drives: S2000, Subaru STI, Tacoma or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearKid View Post
Thank you for the ideas! I believe we have the following root cause theories:
1-old prestretched OEM bolt was retorqued using "stretching procedure" which subjected the rod to over torquing
2-impact wrench was used to break the bolts loose, but the wrench accidentally tightened the bolt instead
3-rod was compromised due to a pre-existing condition, perhaps from day 1, or due to a previously botched job where someone left all the old parts in place.

Did I forget any?
Anyone want to place any bets?
Better yet, any ideas for how to narrow down the list?
1-TIS is clear, the old bolts are totally fine to use to test clearance - this is not a cause of your problem unless they were improperly used.

2-Unless they were using a LARGE impact and held if for many ugga-duggas, this is likely not the case - but if they did hit it with a big impact, damage may be plausible.

3 - I would doubt very much that the engine would have lived with a bad rod bolt - ask SYT_Shadow about that...
Thanks for dispelling these theories. From what I'm gathering, the only way to strip a rod is to grossly over torque it. Does anyone have a sense what that number is?
Also curious about another detail. I've seen many posts confuse 130 degrees with 130N-m for the OEM procedure. What's the final N-m value when the OEM angle procedure is used? Just wondering if it's anywhere near 130N-m.
Appreciate 0