United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Who on earth would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
what a project! so happy to hear that schrick is accepting to do these in the future!
I got the back story from Bert on this. Apparently Bert emailed Schrick about two years ago and asked if they'd make him cams for a flat plane crank. This was before he bought the crank and cams from Dinan. I don't think Schrick ever responded because I vaguely remember Bert asking me if I had contacts at Schrick when they didn't answer him.

After Bert got the cams from Dinan, he emailed Schrick again. This time he asked if he could get the specs on the cams. Schrick said no specs because they don't make any cams for flat plane engines. (They never said they didn't, just said they don't.) Schrick gave Bert a clue though -- by saying they had no idea what Bert had in his possession. That was a clue, because the cams have a Schrick part number stamped on them. And for all you detectives out there, it's not a standard Schrick part number...so you can stop trying to figure it out.

So, Bert took pictures of the part numbers, and sent them back to Schrick. 24-hours later, Schrick provided complete specs of the cams along with firing order. That's how Bert found out the firing order doesn't match the flat plane firing order programmed in the MSS60 ECU.

In Bert's next email, he asked if they had any other hardware needed for the cams, AND if Schrick could now make the cams since they know the part number. Schrick again responded immediately with a whole slew of part numbers of things like valve springs, intake and exhaust valves, lash caps, etc. But in that same email, they gave a price quote to make more cams, and said they'd be willing.

The key was the part number. Asking them to make flat plane cams wasn't enough. Knowing the part number was the key to unlocking the mystery and getting more cams made.

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds incorrect but would the flat crank setup freeze the Vanos in 1 place now ? and would the 4.4 and flat crank use a vibration damper?
I don't know what you mean, and I probably wouldn't know the answer anyways. I've heard through the grapevine that you need to remove the VANOS for Schrick 292 cams anyways. But I've also heard there's a workaround that allows you to keep VANOS for the 292 cams. To be honest, I have no idea...but I know we'll eventually get to that point and find out.
Appreciate 1