10-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I need to agree with this, especially considering how expensive it is to walk away from a GT-R's warranty.

No, I don't think so. I think Nissan is taking advantage of your thinking that there is a huge difference between Stock vs. Modded, stock/production cars cetainly get more press, or threads on the internet. But in reality, many of us who have been around cars with huge potential, like Mustang Cobras, EVOs, and so forth, know that many cars are capable of producing significant amounts of power and performance with very little adjustments. Take a look at a car like the EVO FQ400

The GT-R, to me is really like an AWD supra of this era, but the Supra, with the appropriate backing would give a GT-R a run for it's money, even with older technology, the platform isthere, and it was just perfected by many tuners, and track junkies. Instead, Nissan is now just upping the boost, and making minor changes to produce these upgrades or tunes. Look at the P31 Package for the c63AMG, the potential for significant upgrades is there for many vehicles, it's just a matter if the manufacturer wants to do it or leave it in the hands of the owner and the aftermarket.

The GT-R is a monster, stock or modified, but the performance is not quite in the 'awe' range just yet, I think the biggest 'awe' factor is that it's a Nissan, not a Ferrari, Not a Porsche, it's a Nissan, you can pick up for 100k and give anyone and everyone trouble, I just think people tend to overlook many other cars that take 10k, and give you 0-60 in under 3 seconds, or 1/4 times under 10 seconds.
It's the overall package that the stock GTR provides. Of course you can even throw some turbos on a Honda Civic to achieve some amazing times, but none of the cars you mentioned are going offer the overall performance package, esp on a track (tuned or not), under warranty with a great resale value and reliability like the GTR. Also, as you know it's easy to extract power from a GTR if you want to compare tuned cars.
Appreciate 0