04-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #51
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
pinging can be influenced by fuel octane rating, ambient temp, and ignition timing. had an issue with a shark tuner on my e46 years back. always ran premium, as soon as tune was installed the pinging started, that was the only variable that had changed. recommend going back to stock tune or check out active Autowerke if u are in south Florida...
Years ago AA solved the pinging problem on my e36M. Great guys, especially Karl (is he still there?), who did it must have been 15 dyno pulls to get their software right. The car ran sweet after that. I also had their stage 1 software in my e46M, which never pinged during 11 years of ownership. With the e92M I have Dinan stage 1 -- which a Dinan engineer claimed had zero to do with the pinging.

You make a good point about ambient temperature. The e92 pinged in the FL heat and humidity before I moved to VA. No sign of it down here since May of last year. But I still think my problem was a bad tank of Shell 93.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0