View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #89
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I would like to hear what tracks this is happening at. I think the track surface and its condition plays a role in the splicing.
Mine happened at the BMW Performance Center after a total of about 15 minutes of all-out autocross usage (10 runs). I've used all the prior sets of NT-01s I bought on this track (bought them specifically to go the CCA autox events there), and none of them ever had a problem. Of course this was between 2007 and 2009, and this latest set was made in Aug 2012 and bought in Nov 2012. All the other NT-01 sets I've had I've used them down to almost nothing (cords in once case) without ever seeing the slightest hint of the tread splice opening up.

I have no clue what is going on with these latest sets, but I'm guessing something changed in either their manufacturing process or compounding process. I'm not even sure Nitto knows what is going on. Since the tire has been around for a long time, and this issue was non-existent for years, one would think "something" changed.

If the tread splice only slightly showed its location, it would probably be ok to swap sides of the car with the tires and continue to run them, but after only 15 total minutes of use, the splice opened up enough on two of mine to start tearing away at the tread compound in the large tread block. Those two tires were toast. Nitto refunded me for all four via Discount Tire.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0