View Single Post
      09-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #40
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
I don't think MDM has anything to do with EDC. Adjusting suspension settings at unpredictable times would be a complete no-no. All it does is reduce the broader limits of instrusion. This however adjust itself accordingly. Hence "Dynamic".

It would be great if someone can confirm this. Though I'm 99.9% certain MDM has nothing to do with EDC. Many cars on the forum have gone with aftermarket coil systems such as Moton or KW, while retaining full use of MDM.

This is 100% an upsell gimmick on BMW's part.
Stand corrected, EDC is not part of the MDM code as the UK cars are indeed equipped with MDM but no EDC as standard, but definitely it is part of the steering effort and throttle adjustments and of the iDrive for the interface, so is back to square one: a non-OEM MDM retrofit in the best case will be a raise to the limits of the DSC in whatever table/formula used in the firmware and nothing else.

And for an aftermarket company to do that and test it will require vast resources. Someone like Dinan could be the only one capable of doing this right and provide warranty... and you will want some warranty.

Now, if somebody wants to really get crazy and find if indeed the OEM MDM software is dormant in your car, then try to change the Vehicle Order using Autologic in an iDrive equipped car to add MDM. If the software is there it could be possible that even the steering wheel button software address will change with the VO as well as the MDM button.

Play at your own risk...
Appreciate 0