08-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The vendor I contacted was Active Autowerke. I don't have any firsthand experience with them, but I was reading a post somewhere on this board and got the impression they were a reputable place. I read the details about their M3 ECU tune on their website and it sounded like they knew what they were talking about (still not sure what that launch control bit is all about, however). So, I emailed Karl Hugh, whose name is listed on the contact page with the title "Head of Engineering (Software Tuning)". I never did get a reply but I knew up front it was kind of a long shot. However it is doesn't mean they didn't keep the suggestion in mind or that some other tuner would not be more actively interested.

Here is the email I sent in case anyone cares or wants to crib parts of it:

"Hello, I saw from your website that you develop software for BMWs including the E9x M3, and I had a general question I thought maybe you could answer.

My question, simply put, is do you know whether it is possible, via software only, to add the MDM DSC mode to an M3 that is not equipped with MDrive? I ask because I have such a car (a non-MDrive M3), and have been wondering about this for a while. Of course, the non-MDrive-equipped M3 also lacks the Sport Plus Power setting and the Sport Servotronic steering setting as well. Those would be nice-to-haves also, but my main curiousity is MDM mode for DSC. Sure, you'd also need a way to engage the MDM setting. I thought perhaps it could be done simply by holding down the DSC button for a couple seconds longer that normal. Or, if the stock hardware doesn't support that, perhaps the DSC button could be replaced by a three-state button similar to the one used for EDC.

If such software is feasible, I'd be interested in it - given the right price. I think many others who don't have MDrive might be also, especially if it enabled the other two missing settings I mentioned above as well. Granted, most people order their M3 with MDrive (i.e. the "ZTP" Tech Package, for US anyway), but I think there is probably still a decent market for an aftermarket solution like this. In fact, if such a solution existed, I'll bet more non-MDrive M3s would be ordered because buyers would know they could go without the double-hump (IDrive screen) that the Tech Package forces on you and still get all the software settings.

Anyway, just something I had been thinking about and looking for a solution for. Thanks for reading."

BTW, Thanks michaeldorian for reminding me that the vendor with the M-DCT software was ESS.
Thanks! I sent a message to ESS.
Appreciate 0