View Single Post
      03-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #60
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
Isn't it logical to believe the E92 M3 base price increase over the E46 (percentage), will be similar/close to the increase of the E60 M5 price over the E39? There IS a similar level of improvement between the two over their previous generations, no? (overall performance, motor, exterior features, suspension, wheels, interior pieces, computer tech (and the M5 GOT the hot new transmission at the time, the M3 isn't going to, initially)

Isn't it reasonable to think?

Original Retail Price (MSRP)
03' BMW M5 : $70,400
06' BMW M5 : $81,200
.... = 15.34% increase

06' BMW M3 : $48,900
08' BMW M3 : $56,401 [estimate - 06' ($48,900 x 1.1534)]

I'm on record to say base price will be less than $57,000.
I'd agree with your logic, if for any reason because BMW has a loyal customer base that they want to retain. Too large of a price jump between generations will prompt some loyalists to go elsewhere - perception is key. At any rate, it's hard to directly compare and rationalize the difference in price between like BMW and Audi cars. Each company builds their cars a little differently, they have different design, R&D, production and distribution costs, they have different marketing goals, etc, etc.. Relative to the high RS4price, IMO Audi is using it to fatten up their profits by building exclusivity within their existing product line, without the risk losing their loyal customer base. Let's face it, they still have all those A4's and S4's to sell.
Appreciate 0