View Single Post
      03-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #70
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ken - just to confirm...because such a project does interest me to be honest...where does the pizza go? I assume on the stone floor, but how close to the fire? Is the floor easy to clean? How do you get the wood lit easily?
The pizza goes straight on the floor. The oven is very easy to light, I build a 'log cabin' fire and light it with a propane torch (like you would use to sweat copper plumbing), in about 45 minutes to an hour the floor is 700 degrees and the dome is over 1000.

Once the fire is burned down, I push it to the back of the oven, throw on another log and and let the floor (where the fire was) cool to about 650 degrees, which I find is perfect for cooking pizza (I tried closer to 800 once, but it got more charred then I like, and it went way too fast to keep up with).

You have a wire brush to get the ash out of the way, and you cook where the fire was on the floor, the pizza is very close to the fire (2" or 3" away), you have to turn it after about a minute, and it is done in 2.

The oven is basically self cleaning, when you build the fire it burns off everything each time. This sunday a friend wanted to try to make pizza, it was a mess and ended up sticking to the floor, I got it out pretty easily (it still tasted good, just wasn't pretty), and just pulled some coals over the stuck part to burn it off and we were good to go. She made a few perfect pizzas after that first one, it really isn't hard.
Appreciate 2
Lups11826.50
Joekerr7929.00