just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Looks like you have stop tech. Mine does that as well I concluded it's the dust particles pool at the bottom of the grove and it's a abrasive that affect the rotor wear. It does no harm to the brake system. I just ignore after all the years.
I believe tlrid3r is correct. The pad particles travel down the length of the slot as the disc is spinning, and deposit at the end of the slot. That buildup of pad then digs into both the pad and the disc. If you look at your pads, you likely have some grooving or a clump there as well. We see this on our AP Racing J Hook discs. The two edges of the J Hooks converge about half way up the disc face, with both dumping material into the same spot. It forms a harmless groove. It shouldn't have any impact on performance or longevity. If you haven't read our article, "When is it time to replace my iron brake discs", you should check it out. It talks about this phenomena, as well as many others. You may find it helpful. Thanks.

Here's what this type of grooving looks like on our AP J Hooks:
Yeah I think J hook rotor are better to handle this. I really want to upgrade to an AP system but waiting till money is right and I feel I need to replace my stoptech. I got the stoptech before I knew of AP. Far more superior.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0