05-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #53
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
So why is there is a group of 1-series guys that feel inclined to dance around screaming about how on one or two tracks the 1M performs better than the ///M3? WHO CARES? Why are the magazines comparing them? They don't compare the e90 ///M3 to the ///M5 do they? I just don't get it. Its like the Cayman vs. 911 discussions, I don't understand them.....or maybe I do, maybe the 911 and //M3's are the benchmarks in each of their worlds, so everyone wants to compare things to them......

Speaking from a neutral perspective (dont own either 1er of M3) I have to disagree. Seeing the way each party treats the other on their respective boards I would say the M3 crowd is way more hostile to the 1M crowd. The 1M crowd is excited because, like you said, it compares favorably to the M3 which is the performance benchmark of the brand. But people on here are getting ridiculous saying how ugly the 1M is, how its an entry level car, not a real M car, etc etc. Seems to me like the 1M crowd is sort of paying respect to the M3 by setting it as the benchmark while some M3 owners have nothing but terrible things to say about it for one reason or another. Its amazing how a new M car (which should be a good thing right?) can make some people so angry
Appreciate 0