View Single Post
      07-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #25
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The suggestion you provided for a "powerful" wireless router placed at the windows closest to each other in both buildings won't work well either. Here are the problems with this suggestion. First, using a wireless router would mean trying to get proper wireless connection/performance out of two devices with omni-directional antennas. In a situation where distance is a major factor, the use of omni-directional antennas are the last thing you want to utilize. Second, consumer grade wireless routers can only bridge over single radio which is typically 2.4 GHz. The use of 2.4 GHz for distance wireless backhauls is a bad idea due to only 3 available non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11). This is why 5 GHz is used by wireless mesh systems and point to point wireless backbone/backhaul equipment. Third, the FCC regulates the amount of transmit power any wireless equipment running over open air space for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz can produce. The only way you're going to get the ability to have more transmit power is if you use outdoor APs which the FCC allows.
my routers are bridged at 5ghz

i agree though, not the best option, and not the cheapest. cheapest is running a cable yourself.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0