View Single Post
      04-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #54
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I remember watching the news a couple of years ago when I was still living in NC, and there was a story about a mother getting t-boned in a newer Outback at I believe 55mph by a Chevy s10 pickup (I am having trouble finding the story online...maybe someone can dig it up to confirm these details). Her kids were with her and everyone in the Outback died. The car was a mangled mess with the entire upper roof structure basically ripped clean off.

Also, I had a 2016 WRX, and while it gave me 21k trouble-free miles before I sold it, I found a few areas on the car where it was obvious they use lightweight materials and cheap construction to save $ and improve gas mileage.

Subaru makes great economy cars, but they just are not built like a BMW, Volvo, etc.

I prefer to drive my 1-year old in something safer and far more substantial. I bought a used Volvo XC70 with 130k on the clock as our 2nd/backup car (actually 3rd if you include my 2er, which is not a DD) and could not be happier with it.

If I was in your shoes, and based on the type of vehicle it sounds like you are after, I'd consider a lightly used XC70 or wait for the new V60 Cross Country to be revealed.

Good luck!