Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Could be bad spacers. Try using a razor blade paint scraper to clean your hubs and the back of your wheels. I use several different spacers on one of my cars depending on the wheels I am using without issues. Most people don’t have issues.
In the past, this has been my experience. Spacers have never been a problem for me. That is why this is just so frustrating.

I took the studs out today. Cleaned the wheel seating surface as well as the face of the hubs with some scotch-brite. Applied a little anti-seize to the hub centre and mounted the wheels with factory bolts (no spacers of course). It drives like a champ. Butter smooth.

I will clean up the spacers and likely buy a set of longer bolts (for how often I change tires, studs are not needed) and test again in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And some further info:

Same thing happened with old PS2s as well as my new PS4S so I do not think it is tire related.

Wheels were checked for true at a wheel shop when I had them re-finished last winter. Unless the shop lied to me, the wheels should be OK.

Wheels were balanced with a top-end (not road force) balancer.

I use an impact when mounting wheels and I follow the proper pattern to ensure an even seating. I complete the final torque on the ground but the bolts typically turn only another few degrees as my impact is just about perfect for wheel bolts.

The shimmy is not a slight shimmy. Without spacers, car is awesome. With spacers, car has a very bad steering wheel wobble at about 105-115 KPH.

Given 2 different brands of spacers have the same problem, I think it is an installation issue as discussed above. My hubs are a little rusted so before I try them again, I will really clean up the surfaces so the spacers seat properly, especially around the hub centre ring.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0