View Single Post
      11-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #44
BT M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hmm, if you don't call that thread a fairly epic debate I'm not sure we can agree on anything. Furthermore if you claim +10 hp from scoops is a proven fact we won't be able to agree on that either.

1/4 mi times and or some Vbox numbers would be most insightful to this debate as to what you car is actually putting down. I also doubt 65+ hp with bolt ons and software.

"Snake oil": Perhaps RJs term is a bit harsh. However, I have the same attitude/approach he does with products like scoops. The manufacturer does crappy non repeatable testing, perhaps with a bad dyno or not properly controlled dyno. No one shows any real world gains. Then many followers also report dyno gains and attribute them to that particular product (or even more innocently to a group of mods). Soon many are wasting money on a mod that does nothing and actively or passively promoting the product. The product might not be expensive but it will surely be overpriced and a waste. You might bash the scientific approach but what if I claimed I got 20 hp from a magnet placed on the side of my engine. Science (and common sense based on science) would tell you the claim is BS.
Welcome to the aftermarket tuning game. Half the tuning files / products I've tested are garbage and incorrect claims. I'm sure some have installed parts that were useless based off internet marketing I.E. Technocraft Envy I.E AFE Stage 1 e9x M3. (IB4vendors)

However, these are "my results" for my personal car that I share with the community. I'm not here to sway anyones opinion. I make my own conclusions from results I see first hand. And try to make my best educated guess before the purchase based on a complex line of reasoning. I modded the car from what I thought would be most effective for the $ based off what I learned from JonMartin's car in 08'
Appreciate 0