View Single Post
      06-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Tire life at the track

I'm doing an HPDE this weekend and have a question for you guys regarding tire life. Obviously, tracking the car is going to speed up tire wear, but approximately by how much? I know it depends how you drive, I don't plan on kicking the rear out constantly or anything but i do want to push the car. I have 2 sets of wheels- the stockers with the contis (~90% tread life left) and some wider VMRs with much wider PS2s (f+r) but with much less tread- esp on the inside rear where it's getting close to the wearbars.

I'd like to use the ps2s both for the width and extra grip But I'm slightly nervous of whether the tires will be completely run down to the cords or not during/after this event. I'm fine using the tires up, I just hope they can pull the entire day+drive home. I don't know how long I'll actually be on the track for, I assume a few hours. The event is at NJMP if that helps for those who have been on it. So what say you guys? Is it worth the risk for more grip? Honestly I'd rather use the ps2s so I can just swap my stockers back on if they go and avoid having to shell out for new tires right away, but I don't want that to happen during the event...
Appreciate 0