View Single Post
      10-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #727
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

09 ~50K miles Bank 1 Actuator fault

So I had the limp mode, my handy bluetooth reader I leave on the car at all times sent the code to my phone almost instantly. I looked it up and had a bank 1 actuator failure. Much thanks to this forum for the DIY. The original part after removal was dated from 2008. I ordered a single replacement, but after opening the first failed actuator and seeing the ground down black gear teeth cupped, etc. I ordered the second actuator and replaced both. It's way too much work to tear down to this level to replace one and then have the second one fail a few weeks later. Anyway after I got both replacements in I opened the second old actuator and actually saw it was worse off than the first. Note, both of them dumped a pile of plastic shavings out of the housing when I opened them. The black gear is chewed up good at the start and stop positions. I suspect it either chatters there or hunts around wearing the teeth down. Both PCBS looked good. End result: I replaced both and I'm glad I did after seeing the condition of the second one. The car runs good. Question: I already cleared the fault codes, but should I clear the stored engine adaptations after the fault codes to get everything back to full potential? Edit: never mind I see my question might be answered above me in the previous post.