View Single Post
      04-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #20
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

UPDATE: So after speaking with Dan at Dinan, I've been told that it took him over 1k miles one time to set one for the E9X M3. He told me it's extremely specific, but that they do not change that diagnostic function at all. It remains open, just difficult. I'm not sure if other tuners make it easier or what, but he assured me it will set. He said the only way he has ever had it set on one of these cars is by doing the following which is a slight deviation from the FTP drive cycle that BMW specifies.

1. Cold start - idle 2-4 minutes
2. Drive vehicle 20-30 mph not exceeding 3000 RPM for 15 minutes (standard cycle says something like three minutes)
3. Accelerate to between 50 and 60 MPH and remain there for 15 minutes.
4. At this point, the monitor should set on a perfect try, but he said you might as well finish the drive cycle by ending with the 5 minute idle
NOTE: Absolutely NO major fluctuations in throttle or 100% at any time during this or it will restart. He told me cold start is his only chance.

That's apparently it. I'm not sure I buy it, but I'll give it a shot on a completely cold start. The challenge will be finding a place to do it. You pretty much need a track or dyno to complete this perfectly, but I said it will work. It just takes a lot of time. The only reason I'm believing it is because I've never heard anything horrible about their customer service and people seem to like them, but we will see I guess. Wish me luck. Mike if you see this, your input is greatly appreciated given that you know way more about this than anyone here and my guess is that you don't have this much trouble setting this monitor.
Appreciate 0