Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
Sway Bar End Links on Lowered Suspension

I started thread because although this topic has been discussed, I don't think the proper context has been added to it.

Based on what I've found in my research, some people have gone with shorter adjustable end links and other have gone with longer adjustable links. Some coilover kits even come supplied with links and when they do they're typically shorter links.

The one critical piece of detail that has been left out of every thread/topic regarding end links after lowering is the question of how is the height adjusted on the coilovers..

I think the difference or determining factor on whether shorter vs longer are needed depends on whether your suspension height adjustments are spring-adjusted, e.g. KWs, or strut-adjusted, e.g., Ohlins.

If my theory is correct, spring-adjustable coils = longer links are required and strut adjustable coilovers = shorter links.

The part that is effected the most is the lower control arms. Spring adjustable coilovers don't effect the position of the control arm, at least not significantly. When adjustment are made from the spring, it's a top-to-bottom effect. Whereas, when you're making the strut shorter, it's opposite, where the bottom needs to reach the top. So when the adjustments are made to the strut, a shorter strut means the strut carrier/hub would need to be raised up in orderer the strut to properly sit in the carrier.

I could be wrong, but I'm hoping to initiate a productive conversation on the topic because I've been suffering from this problem for over a month now and would like to have it resolved before I spend anymore money trying to address it.
Appreciate 0