Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 Sedan 6Spd

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
With stock calipers and rotors, SRF, Ferodo 2500 F&R, steel lines, etc, I went through a set of fronts in two track days of 5 20-min sessions each. The rotors were also slightly warped after the 2nd day. Three or four times towards the end of each day the brakes would cease to function well at the end of fast straights. I'm lucky to have "gone off" on those straights multiple times, so my life didnt flash before my eyes, but it wasn't fun to barely make it.

Contrast that with the current BBK that uses F80 front rotors ($500 a pair). I went 10 events this year with a single set of Ferodo DSUno F/2500 R pads and the F80 rotors look like they've got less than a few microns of wear. Next year I'll buy another $500 in pads, $70 for another pint of SRF, and go back to riding anti-locks through my braking zones.

As mentioned, a good BBK will honestly save you money. I don't actually have an opinion on what BBK one should use as long as the F/R bias is well thought out for your tires of choice. They all have 10 minute pad changes (I swapped the F pads to 2500's after each event for the street), and they all stop you repeatedly better than stock. It's probably 95% about the thermal capacity of the bigger rotors, but I'm not sure. I just really appreciate thinking about things other than brakes during my track days.
What pad shape # are you running for the DSUno on f80 rotors? The shape Slonik suggested didn't come in a DSUno option.
Appreciate 0