04-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #32
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Lol at buying a newer car with twice the mileage for the same price. you buy a car with 70k and sell it at 100 and you'll have a much less valuable car.... Very hard to sell. You buy a car with 30k and sell it at 60k and it'll sell all day long. It will also be the less used/worm car.
Agreed. 25k miles vs 60-80k miles is significant. These cars just feel different, and there is generally a noticeable difference in interior wear as well. I've owned plenty of higher mileage vehicles and there is a reason you pay more for low mileage. Many of these cars are not driven daily, and sometimes even 30-40k miles is 6-7 years worth of additional wear and tear.

Are there exceptions to that rule? Sure, cars regularly driven in San Francisco, NYC, Chicago or any other area with shit roads may feel worn out by 30K miles, while one driven in an area with really good roads may have minimal suspension wear by comparison at 60k miles.

That said, $35-$40K can also buy a relatively low mileage (~40K mile) LCI car nowadays so there is that to consider. An '08 with 25K miles in a desirable color combo should still bring $30K plus though, so i would say you're in the range. If you like the car and it's what you want, and you know the history, i wouldn't worry about spending a couple grand more to get a known quantity.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD945.50