03-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #58
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster4Fun View Post
I have heard these live and was impressed with the final product. The product looks well designed and executed. There are no polished tubes or cans, but the welds and materials are top shelf (IMO). I am guessing that Steve would not accept a design that had any hint of drone at any rpm, and the package performs that way. At idle it has a deeper, throatier sound that carries though the revs and rings an understated aggressive note at the higher rpms. At highway speeds and around-town speeds the cabin noise is essentially the same as stock; yet under throttle the tone is more aggressive and throatier. If you like louder or more "thump and grunt" in your exhaust this may not be the answer for you. Aesthetically if you like the polished tips with the rolled edges, this does not have it. The finish is a sturdy black ceramic with the Dinan name neatly laser etched onto the top leading edge. The tips are 3" in diameter and made of a heavy enough guage of SS to give a sturdy edge.

With regards to the "inactive" pipe... it just is what it is. The rear valance dictated the space to fill and other than doing some kind of wildly flared tip it does the trick to fill the space. From a physics and performance standpoint the design makes sense (IMO) and you can bet that they did their homework on their product development. Keep in mind that this company specializes in BMW only and it's owner and founder is very hands on with everything that they develop (engines, suspension, brakes... the works)... so I think it is fair to say they know what they are doing and design their products according to the design concepts they keep. This may not be everyone's style... but nothing ever is. Yes, I am a fan of their products... but everyone has different opinions and I certainly respect that. Adding to that, I have not made my final decision on which system I am going to go with yet as I may want a little more "thump and grunt" than this system provides. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on what I heard and saw...

Does this post sound like an advertisement to anyone else? Someone with only 2 posts all of a sudden writes a long review praising a product that has mostly been bashed for the entire thread? Not saying it is... just sounds a bit suspicious to me