View Single Post
      09-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

I have never driven mine on the track - but Chris Harris says it's not as good as a 911 on the track. I have no trouble believing him - but he has only driven it on Pirelli P-Zeros.

I have driven it on Mountain roads and switchbacks. I can tell you that the OEM Pirelli tires are absolute rubbish. I drove Beartooth Pass (out in Wyoming / Montana) on the Pirelli P-Zero as well as Michelin PSS tires. The difference was night and day for me. On the Pirellis the front end was squirmy under braking. I also had to be very careful accelerating out of a 180 degree switchback because the rear end would just want to brake loose and traction control came on a few times - I always keep traction control on when on public roads. I may have been above the speed limit. That was last year.

This year I had Michelin PSS tires on. The front did not squirm on braking and I could get on the throttle earlier than I could on the Pirellis. The traction control did not intervene even once. Once again, I may have been above the speed limit.

In Colorado I found a nice pass heading towards I-70. There were 2 lanes heading up. It was a weekday and there was no traffic. I stayed on my side but did change lanes so that I could fully use the 2 lanes heading in my direction. There was really no problem.

I would like to see someone who knows how to drive (I am okay but not great) try the RWD V8 on Pirellis vs. Michelins. I think it may not beat a 911 but will come much closer. The Pirelli P-Zeros are horrible tires in my opinion.

The accelerator is linear without any surprises. I had it up to about 3,500 metres (around 12,000 feet) and the Supercharger did not allow me to notice any significant drop in acceleration due to altitude. I find the car to be quite predictable.

I also find it to be very comfortable as a GT car. The drive out to Wyoming from Ontario is almost 2,800 km (around 1,750 miles) one way. I was not sore and drove back in 2 days. The only tricky issue was luggage space in the convertible!
Appreciate 1