jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Thank you for your response, Jeff.

To confirm, those of us with the CP5060/40 kits that need replacement parts, would need to purchase from the 966X/9449 bin?

How has this inventory change affected the "lifetime rebuilding" that was included w/ our purchase of the 5060/40 kit?

The major attraction to the original kit for a lot of us were its huge weight savings over stock & competitors, not to mention the bare-bones, no-bling, all-business, anodized caliper finish...I imagine there's a trade-off in weight-savings between the good 'ol Pro 5000 and the fancy "R"? You mentioned it's lighter, but how does that reconcile against the advertised 18lbs of unsprung weight saved over stock on the 5060 vs the 12lb savings listed on the 9668?

Your insight is much-appreciated.
Kind Regards,
OC

Hi OC,
No worries at all, and thanks for your continued support! The Pro5000R calipers use many of the same components as the prior Pro5000 line. For example, the pistons in the CP9660 are identical to those in the CP5060, and the ones in the CP9449 are identical to those in the CP5040. As are the AKB springs, piston seals, bleed screws, etc. They're just stuffed in a sexier body! I therefore don't foresee any issues with servicing down the road. We (Essex) are AP's only caliper recertification center outside of their home base in England. Essex has been in business since 1983, and we have no plans of going anywhere. Most of our staff has been here for at least a dozen years (like myself). Our aftermarket program has been growing at a staggering rate, and we fully intend to continue our support in the same manner that we've been, which is bending over backwards to make sure our customers have the best possible experience with our brake kits. That means for the life of the product. Many of our customers are now on their second or third Essex/AP Racing brake kit as they change to new cars, which is pretty cool.

As for the parts themselves, the Pro5000R calipers are only slightly lighter than the older Pro5000 calipers. The differences are under a pound in all cases I believe. On your specific example, the CP5060 caliper was mated to a 355x32mm front disc (the first system we launched for the e90 chassis had a smaller disc). Our subsequent Pro5000R Radi-CAL kits moved to a larger diameter and thicker 372x34mm front disc (because that's what people requested). The 372mm disc weighs about 3-4 lbs. more than the 355mm disc (depending on the specific hat). That's where the quoted 6 pounds of weight difference lies.

Even with the larger 372mm discs, our kit is lighter than all the other kits out there, and much lighter than stock. Now it just has a bit more durability baked in. They'll run a little cooler than the 355mm, and need less frequent replacements. We also made sure that the 372mm front kits still fit inside all the popular 18" track wheels, and the CP9668 caliper option also allows for a full inch thick pad (which is again something people requested).

You can see the details on the two Pro5000R front caliper options in this article I wrote:

Sibling Rivalry: Which AP Racing Radi-CAL is Right for Me, the CP9660 or CP9668?

Let us know what other Q's you have...happy to help!
Appreciate 0