First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
am I the only person who's noticed how high amazon's prices are? I just got a Channellock 6-1 screwdriver, for $7 no tax/free shipping from an online retailer. Amazon sells the same thing, prime eligible, for $12.52. I got 3 different pliers in that order, and the same thing, on each one, amazon is significantly more expensive. Is this a gigantic secret that I just let out? I have only had prime when it was free, like 4X, I would never pay for prime. All the high prices imho subsidize the other perks it has.
I agree with this to a point -- they are a retailer that's powered by technology which they will leverage to drive revenue so yeah I think they play "loose" with the prices to their advantage. Sometimes the price is just OFF like you mentioned. That's when I think Amazon is playing around and they don't do it with everything -- just select items IMO.

I also don't always look at just the price for a product but the whole transaction which means shipping + taxes. Many sellers on Amazon will list lower unit prices but then you get hit with larger shipping fees and/or taxes so the best deal isn't always the cheapest product price.

I do know that Amazon uses technology in ways I can barely understand (such as predictive analysis, price segmentation, etc). There's a great thread on Quora about this that a friend of mine shared a while ago. It's worth reading to get a better understanding of it.

Let's not even discuss airline tickets -- even bigger rip-off IMO.
Appreciate 0