04-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #34
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
This is 100% spot on.

Just got out of the GT3 and it's impossible to enjoy at anything near legal speeds. You just touch the throttle and it rockets forward at any rpm (feels like 2 times the torque of the M3) and if you wring it out a couple gears to enjoy the 9k rpm howl u r in triple digits quick. No lean in any cornering...so it just begs you to take it at the threshold.

The e92 provides for a slightly similar visceral experience but you sometimes aren't even breaking the speed limit. It's the best car to enjoy a racecar experience (high revving NA motor with DCT trans) and yet keep speeds within reason.
Porsche's "No Compromise" has become "No drama" in the 991, which is excellent for "intended purposes" but means that cars like the 991 Turbo S and the GT3/GT2 are very difficult to aggressively enjoy on the street.

On the track, while I normally agree with almost everything SYT_Shadow says, I have to disagree about the 991 GT3 and TTS. My time *with traffic* at PIR in my TTS is 15 seconds faster than I've been able to run in the E90 (with better tires). I cannot exaggerate how much of a drama-free monster the better 911s can be.

The reason I own an E90 M3 is two reasons:
1. I can financially afford to go 10/10ths in the M3 in 10 track days a year. I could total the M3 and walk away. I could not total a GT3 or TTS and replace it. Track day consumables in a GT3 are straightforward and not much more $ than an M3. Thats not the case with a TTS with PCCB.

2. The M3 is more fun to go fast with on a track. You can challenge the car while the track is crowded. The car responds really well to throttle inputs and the right line. Transition handling is remarkable for its weight (and thats with only Dinan supension bits). At he same time, the M3 is *incredibly* forgiving. Almost Miata levels of threshold. The TTS (and to a lesser degree the GT3) are much better at hiding driving.

The 997 is a much different car (even the GT3)... probably more like a less compromised less-comfortable E90. But the prices these cars are fetching make them financially risky to drive 10/10ths on a track. Unfortunately, thats the only place they excel. A $100k Boxster Spyder or Cayman GT4 is a *much* better (and engaging) street car with still great track capabilities.

I'm a huge Porsche fan, but any 997 on the track isn't a good fit compared to alternatives. The 991 is a *completely* different car.
Appreciate 3