08-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #26
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
There are a few things to consider:

1. You have to do no less than outstanding work. Prove that you come in, kick ass and take names before even discussing raise/title changes.

2. What is the scope of your responsibility compared to when you started? As someone who works in IT, setting up an entire network isn't something you just ask someone to do in addition to their regular day to day office work if they aren't in that field.

3. Knowing the owners of the company can work both in your favor and against you. It can be good that they know your work ethic, but bad that they know your poker face during negotiations and may not think twice about giving you extra stuff to do, seeing it as a favor.

Once you have proven yourself, taken on more responsibilities, and shown you are an asset to the company, it is worth discussing.

Never use other positions at different companies as a negotiating tool unless they offer you a job. It basically sounds like you are saying "well Sally over there makes more than I do, I want what she makes". Even the same job title can mean a different amount of responsibility at different companies.

I worked at my company for a year before negotiating a new title/raise, even though I was given a third more responsibility a week after I walked in the door. I met with the supervisor, and gave her a detailed chart showing my responsibilities. I showed how much of my time was spent on each one, the projects and accomplishments I had completed throughout the year, as well as how my role had changed since I had been hired. Charts are an excellent way to communicate with managers because it shows them exactly what is going on and is data they can examine with their own eyes. I had excellent documented feedback and reviews from all of my clients, and had a job offer in hand from another employer. I told them how much I enjoyed my work here, but that compensation was a key factor in my decision to stay. The VP of the company called me at the end of the day with an offer that exceeded what the other employer had given me.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4