View Single Post
      08-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
id recommend finding a competing offer and then seeing if they will exceed it to keep you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
In all my decades of managing people I have never taken this bait. Why? Because if you go so far to get a viable, competing offer, you have made the mental break and I have lost your engagement already. Plus, now I don’t really trust you to be fully on board with our team. Don’t need lone wolves.
Same here, but for different reasons. In my experience, people talk; they share salaries with each other. Didn't used to be that way but it's changed over the last 3 to 5 years, particularly with the under 30 crowd. And the moment word gets out that you strolled into my office and got a raise for no particular reason other than you asked for it, I'll have created a huge nightmare for myself. Now if you roll out of there with a promotion and title change, no one is going to come to me with their hand out. Why? Because they see you actually changed rolls. They understand you worked for it, you took on more responsibilities. You didn't just stick your hand out and ask for more. They are all too lazy to do the same. They will mumble under their breath that they were just as qualified as you to get that promotion but at the end of the day they will understand that you stepped up and went for it and, well, they did not.
Appreciate 4
Joekerr7929.00
2000cs3502.50