View Single Post
      01-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
TropicalM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 BSM DCT Z08

clinking break noise while tracking (OEM breaks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^Totally normal!! Did you see this video of Albert Biermann talking about the new M5 brakes... it was on the front page a few days ago. The M5 brakes make the same noises. The noise comes from the different metal expansion rates. Alloy hub vs steel rotor and the oins used to connect the two different metals together.

Dackel
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and let me first thank you all for such a great source of info. I started tracking my 09 M3 e92 this year here in south Florida (PBIR), so before my first track day I had a ton of questions, and I lost count of how much I read through the forums, just an amazing source of knowledge.

My car is 100% stock, including breaks. I also heard this kind of noise (I guess it is the same) but while tracking the car on Palm Beach (PBIR), not only while parked after each session. I can describe it as if a rock or something hard was stuck in the front tire (no vibration, no fade, no change in break pedal feel, just the noise). After 1 cool down lap it went away, then again after 2 or 3 hard breaking at the end of PBIR back straight (At my beginner level, breaking from 120/130mph to 50mph) the sound would start again. Then, when the session was over and I was parked i could hear the same clinking as described by you.

anyone experienced hearing it while driving (track), and it stops when you cool the breaks down?

Thank you for any inputs!
Appreciate 0