View Single Post
      05-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #7
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbot007 View Post
Cool, so I guess you basically did the Malek mod but instead of the E36 bump stops you just trimmed yours.

What springs do you have?

Thanks!
No I have coilovers but that doesn't change the theory. tall bump stops with a short stroke strut just didn't pan out well. Stock struts have a bit more stroke than the typical aftermarket coilover so a taller bump stop might not be as severe. With a stock style bump stop (60mm) on my coilovers I was basically right on the bump stop at static ride height with a 336lb spring. Meaning, any bit of roll and the spring rate would be going up drastically. The car was extremely agile and turned in really well but just could not hold more than 1.0g lateral. Felt amazing... until it understeered at the limit. A 500lb spring gained me 1" of bump travel and I cut down the bump stop drastically. I now have about 3" of bump travel and 1.25" of droop travel. Allowing the car to roll at a linear rate of 500lb/in without bump stops coming into play is much more compliant and the front hooks up much better.
Appreciate 0