08-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Second skipping carly and buying a k+DKan cable and downloading genuine BMW programs. I paid $100 for the one stop electronics cable and use it with INPA, NCS Expert/Dummy, ISTA P, Rheingold, etc all downloaded for free. There is nothing related to coding, Programing or diagnosing that I can't do. I feel Carly whiLe great for basic coding and reading CEL codes is pretty limited in what it can do if you are used to laptop based programs stick with that.
I got this same cable and paid $40 to PSSAutosoft for the genuine bmw GT1 diagnostic software. In hindsight, I could have probably gotten the GT1 software online somewhere for free. But the PSSAutosoft bundles the software with an installer and installation guide so I just went the easy route. The software is a little finicky and I have to restart it more than I like but I have always been able to read the bmw codes and follow up with the suggested in-program diagnostic tests the software has. For instance, I got a code for misfires on cylinder 3 and 6 and ran the spark duration test it suggested and was able to see that cylinder 6 had zero spark duration but cylinder was like .7ms like the rest. All it took was replacing the ignition coil on 6 to fix it. Without that follow up test, I would have replaced cylinder 3's coil unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0