12-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #94
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
I trust Chris Harris' point of view more, he goes more in depth about how the car feels at the limit.
Which the vast, vast majority of us will never operate our vehicles even close to.

Chris Harris is great, but his reviews are geared toward the hardcore enthusiast -- something most of us are not. It's nice to hear that point of view because it represents a pinnacle of sorts that we all aspire to, but most of us simply don't live in that world regularly.

In that respect, C&D's point of view -- that of a more casual enthusiast that many more people slot into -- is inherently more useful. That's by design. Any one of the phalanx of C&D staffers past or present would trade shoes with Chris Harris in a heartbeat because most are actual hardcore enthusiasts -- and we get to see glimpses of that in columns, anecdotes, and such. But they can't position their editorial that way because the majority of the readership can't relate.

It's the classic conundrum of a critic: Do I talk about what I love in my language, or do I talk about what my readers love in their language? The correct answer is the latter for any critic worth their salt.
Appreciate 0