View Single Post
      03-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #17
Rainer M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, 2018 X5 35D

I have no idea when low is actually too low.
But if there is less/ not enough fluid in the box that will lead to overheating at some point . The other possibility should be that the pump sucks air and therefore pressure loss.
Both cases should lead to a code being thrown and perhaps limp mode.
I can not see that the box get a damage before one of those things happens.
We know from drivers that track the car that occasionally overheating message didn't destroy the box.

If the Indy knows how much was missing then I assume he has the BMW software To do a filling as outlined by BMW. In this case he should be able to to the DCT "reset".

I honestly would be more concerned that someone puts in a "automatic" gear oil, assuming that the DCT is an automatic gearbox which it is not.
The DCT needs a certain fluid and BMW in the early days replaced the gearbox and cooler and all lines should someone put the wrong fluid in.

As far as I can tell, no one knows how it looks when the wrong fluid is used to top up or even a complete flush with the wrong oil.

Did someone in your area that has the BMW software and can do a relearn -reset for you and go from there.

My box is supposed to be a new box replaced by BMW a few thousand miles ago and it is also a little "jerky" , most noticeable between the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and take off when not warmed up.
I filed this under one of the wonders of modern technologies.

The box should be able to take a beating.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00