United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Intervention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discodancingrover
First off I would have a lot of trouble really believing the New York Times and their reporting, they are ridiculously slanted. If the whole document was published and what the NYT said was accurate then I would believe them, but in that whole article there is only one quote from this document. One would think that if they wanted to be more accurate they would have more quotes from the document.

And xit2050 can you give us examples of some of these reasonings that make us look stupid to Europeans? And honestly I don't think many people really care what the hell Europeans think of Americans, I honestly don't.
I think that if W looks stupid to the Europeans then we look stupid.(Sigh). Frankly I'm irritated that such sensitive documents could be leaked in such a fashion. What do you think documents from JFK would have said in 1962?
That being said, the point is not whether Bush would go if there were no WMD, but whether he would go if the inspectors failed to detect WMD. When analyzing actions you cannot use hindsight as though things are 100%. Instead, one has to make judgements based on probabilities. Would you go to Iraq if you thought there was 80% chance of discovering chemical/biological/mass destruction weapons? How about 50%? 30%? I was convinced by Colin Powell's "evidence" that there were WMD. I was wrong, but I feel there was sufficient justification for intervention.

Remember that Saddam had made it clear that he would 1. Use chemical weapons (ask the Kurds and Iranians) and 2. Supports terrorism (see his rewards for American deaths offers).

As far as the UN goes, I'm OK with going in without their sanction. It would be preferable, but that's not the solution for everything.

As far as futility of our mission and wasting our troops, I believe that our troops are doing the right thing. We are trying to help Iraq erect a stable government, and I support that as well. My cousin is in Iraq right now trying to take out IED makers, beheader/rapists and even rescuing captured peacenicks and journalists. Sure, his wife wants him back, but if we always just kept our sons and daughters out of harm's way, the Taliban and Al-Qaeda would still be in Afghanistan, there would be no Kuwait, and no Israel. (Or Israel would have used nuclear weapons in self-defense). On the positive side, the Arizona Cardinals would still have Tillman.
Appreciate 0