View Single Post
      01-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

C63 vs. M3--Test Drive

Just got back from driving the 2012 C63 coupe with the performance option package that includes some engine internals from the SLS, huge red calipers, and an amazing matte black paint finish. This package bumps power to 480 hp, and raises top speed.

My main beef with my 2009 E90 M3 has been the lack steering feel and feedback. Some of that has been corrected by modding the car with Dinan Stage III suspension with its camber plates, springs and sway bar. Also installed Dinan rear toe links, front end monoball kit, intake, exhaust and differential. Most importantly, swapped out the PS2s and put on Advan Neovas. So my M3 is far from stock.

Anyway, here's the bottom line. The new C63, which I really wanted to like, is a pig. Yes, there is insane torque and HP. However, there is 3 inches of steering wheel play on center. Totally unacceptable. There is very little feedback or feel through your fingertips. Much less than in the M3. Yes, the suspension is plenty stiff, but the car sways back and forth on fast lane changes, and the suspension is not nearly as supple as the M3 on midcorner bumps. In other words, this car did not feel nearly as safe and secure as the M3. It clearly is more massive in feel, even though it is only a C-class. I can't imagine what an AMG E or S class feels like, if the C63 doesn't feel well balanced.

The 7-speed automatic, is just that, an automatic with paddle-shifters. Since it is not a true automated manual like the DCT or PDK, it just wasn't any fun compared to my 6-MT.

As far as nice noises, the C63 obviously has that insane huge V8 exhaust sound. What you should understand however, is that the noise is all behind the driver. In my opinion, the M3 growl, which changes to an insane snarling at high revs, and comes from in front of the driver, and is much more satisfying.

In summary, I would have to take issue with the recent comparo test in C&D. These cars are not close.

Sticker price for this C63 was 80K.
Appreciate 0