CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivyee View Post
Your question is highly dependent on what stage you are in your career.
Contracting works when you have valuable experience. I worked for a large consultancy where most projects was supplemented by independent contractors, sometimes in lead roles. Another friend who's a business systems analyst basically turned his contracting gigs into his own independent consultancy and has no lack of work.

Consulting however is good for gaining experience and always looks good on the resume. You get exposure to a wide range of issues and if you are working with a large established company you learn/get lots of “tool kits” to use.

I would say if you are comfortable with uncertainty, go for the contract position. If you are OK with relocating, go for the consulting gig and ask for a relocation package. Also look into living expense differential between where you are and where they want you to go. Make sure the salary differential covers that. Years back when I was looking at a potential move to NYC the pay needed to be 30% higher to "break even"

This is huge. I've had friends take on a higher paying job somewhere else only to realize the living costs are astronomical and they are now living below the poverty line, where before they were doing okay.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0