View Single Post
      05-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #818
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009550iMSport View Post
I think I might actually know of a solution for this. It’s not guaranteed to work, but I’m almost certain it will.

It would cost around $200.

Basically, there’s this 10-pin LVDS to 4-pin LVDS adapter that you can buy. I know because I had to buy one for when I retrofitted an android touchscreen to my old Mercedes E Class. It looks like this:

Here’s the link:

https://m.aliexpress.com/i/4000893050238.html

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, they all use the same basic architecture, even down to the quadlok for the head units. Its marketed as for Mercedes, but I see no reason why this adapter wouldn’t work with BMW as well. I imagine they only market it for Mercedes because the aftermarket head units for COMAND don’t usually have different style display inputs, so they offer this adapter instead. It saves on manufacturing costs.

My theory is that you could use this adapter with a CIC display. And then you would have a higher resolution screen for CarPlay!

You would then use this adapter to connect to the Mr12Volt’s LVDS cable that would normally plug directly into the back of the head unit. You need this because the LVDS on this 10-pin to 4-pin adapter has a male head, when you need female, like on the back of the CIC head unit.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAKRA-HSD-L...-127632-2357-0

And then of course you’d need to source a CIC display. There are many on eBay for under $100.

You would be ordering a CIC version of the Mr12Volt kit for this to work. I see no reason why it wouldn’t work with CCC considering the only difference in the two is the display wiring.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible if this doesn’t work, I’m just an idea man. Try this at your own risk!
So, I have the CCC version P2000, and it is working very, very well, but I would like to figure out a way to improve the display resolution.

I am wondering if the solution presented above could work by connecting the Mr12Volt LVDS output (side that would go to CCC display) to the adapter above, and then connecting the output from the adapter to the upgraded CIC display? If so, then there would be no need to source the CIC version of Mr12Volt (or also no need to yank the head-unit again, depending on where you may have mounted Mr12Volt...)

I guess the key question is, are the CCC and CIC displays plug-n-play swappable, except for the 10pin versus 4pin LVDS connection. OR, are there other connection differences between them?

Anybody 100% know the answer?

The challenge I see with the original solution presented above is that it seems mr12volt CCC version and CIC version are different in regard to the harness. CIC version doesn't change it, and just connects via the iDrive controller, while the CCC version has the harness adapter bundle which is a PITA to fit back inside the car with the head-unit.

If I were to be able to just update my CCC version screen based on my thinking above, I would not have to touch anything to install except to remove my glove-box and cup holders, (and of course the display). This is by far preferable. But it all depends on ONLY the LVDS cable connection being different between CCC and CIC display screens. (And the adapter mentioned above working.)

Has anybody done anything like this? I'd love to have a higher resolution display, but don't want to go thru the hassle of CIC retrofit and then also ordering CIC version of Mr12Volt. I'd also REALLY like to avoid having to yank the head-unit again if not doing CIC retro.

(BTW, I can't see doing CIC retro without also replacing the iDrive controller....which means trying to find matching center console trim that will fit the new(er) CIC controller.... I LIKE my trim (wood), and definitely want it to match like stock (and the other trim in the car.) My understanding that it is a very difficult challenge because the new CIC can't fit into the CCC controller existing trim cutout. Bimmertech even told me they cannot match the trim with their ...ahem...$1800 CIC retrofit package, and I would need to source myself, or use generic trim panel they could provide. That is a complete deal-breaker for me...especially for $1800!)

Here is a (poor) ASCI pic of the setup:

Head-Unit <--LVDS 10pin--> P2000 <--LVDS 10pin cable (to display)--> <LVDS 10 to 4pin Adapter> CIC display.

Finny
Appreciate 0