View Single Post
      05-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
CRS_M3
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 - AW/CF Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie57 View Post
Hi - where do you live? I ask as the track you go to will have a large bearing on what you should do. I've done a lot of track work over the last 25 years in road cars and generally so long as you keep the car in good condition, particularly the brake fluid fresh and some decent pads you're OK for at least a while.

In terms of tyres, I'd suggest it's not a matter of whether the standard tyres are good enough but more a matter of cost. Road tyres as fitted to the M3 are excellent but road tyres are not designed for serious track work whereas a Dunlop R or similar is and will both last longer (i.e. be cheaper) and be more predictable as it wears. Also, you're not left with having to drive on the road on some knocked about tyres - especially relevant as we head into winter. Remember the first part of a tyre to wear on the track is the shoulder of the tread - just the bit you need to be in good condition in the wet.

Finally, as suggested above start by taking some professional training. As I'm sure you've found already your M3 is quick - deceivingly so - and there are plenty of video's on YouTube of people who found out the hard way what that can mean.
I live in sydney, and I am looking to take the car onto Eastern Creek.

I was worried about the tyres wearing down, even after a full day at the tracks, which I have done with my other car,Golf GTI. After 1 day the treads and shoulders were pretty worn down.

Do you have any suggestions as to which tyres are suitable for the M3 for track use? I had the 19Inch rims optioned. Semi-Race tyres that can be used on road and track (legally)? Would you change the tyres alone, or get a new set of wheels altogether?

Also, do the dealers in sydney have the the race brake pads available for the M3? I would prefer not to void any warranties at this time.

Also, I will be getting lessons to go onto the track, I know how dangerous and upsetting it might get even with a small mishap at high speeds. Any reccomendations as to schools or private lessons? BMW Advanced training only happens once a year in sydney, so hard to get to.