View Single Post
      04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #19
Smiley913
Rep
Drives: Something that Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
OK, now that I read it...I have to agree. And since this has nothing to do with oil, I feel more comfortable commenting.

Smiley, you presented your credentials and premise of this article based on being a chemical engineer, but your premise and entire discussion concerns mechanical engineering and fluid dynamics (if that's the right terminology here).

This is a case where you really need to see how the engine works before starting a thread like this. A timing belt drives the cams and usually only exists on small 4-banger engines. A timing CHAIN drives the cams, but is much stronger than a timing belt. A timing belt is hung outside the block, and timing chain is hung inside it.

I've seen oil pumps driven directly from intermediate shafts, shafts driven from other gears, and chains driven directly from the nose of the crank. But I've never seen one driven from a timing belt or timing chain (I'm not saying they don't exist). When you say this is necessary because the oil pump can't handle all of the engine's power, I've got to be honest that I don't even know what that means. If you're saying the oil pump needs a gear reduction to operate at the proper speed, well maybe it does. That's normal.

I've been involved in many of these bearing discussions and I don't recall any of them turning into the premise you posed in this article. I'm not saying that it hasn't come up, but I don't remember any such discussion before. I do remember one side saying 10W60 is too thick and advocating 0W40. The other said says 0W40 is too thin and will reduce oil pressure across the bearings. That's when the pro 0W40 side counters by bringing up a positive displacement pump and saying that it's not possible. But I've never seen anybody talk about flow rates with different viscosities being the reason not to switch oils. Translation: the premise of this thread isn't what the discussion has even been about.
I don't know but what means the oil pump is connected to the engine that is why I put the indication it was a guess. When I say the oil pump can't handle all of engine's power, I was just trying to say the pump would break if it is connected to a 400 hp motor. The oil pump is probably only using a small amount of the total engine power (guess: less than 1 hp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
The problem here is this: the entire premise of your thread is wrong. I don't think the argument has ever been about oil flow through the pump.
Got it. I thought when people say more oil it means overall (through the pump).

I am not trying to prove anything. All I want to do is have a logical discussion and understand the things I don't understand.
Appreciate 0