03-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #46
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
You measure multiple spots over the journal and compare your numbers. Ideally you measure in multiple spots with the main OUT of the car so you can go around the entire thing. You'd need a micrometer and bore gauge. If these guys are even semi-professional, then they should have both of those tools and high quality ones at that.

Sure, you can get away with using plasti-gauge, I've built plenty of american motors with the stuff, but with the tolerances in these bearings/engines, I probably wouldn't go that route. If these guys are using plasti-gauge and going that route, that's a non-starter for me.

-Duke
You can't get a bore gauge inside the S65 to measure the rod big-end. Plastigage is your only choice to "approximate" clearance with the engine inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
...and my understanding is that BE pre measures all of their shells and builds their kits according to a target clearance that their research has determined.
So, if your crank is within the tolerances of what BE expects it to be, then the bearings should create the intended gap that BE was aiming for.
I don't know if it's a fact, but I've heard that some shops don't measure the crank rod journals, but give the journals a visual inspection and then proceed.
It is a fact, plenty of photos posted to show it. Bert will be at my house this weekend measuring bearings.
Appreciate 1