07-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
What specific issue do you foresee if changing to pads that cover the entire rotor?

My current plan is running street pads (DS2500, which cover entire rotor) and swapping track pads (3mm less radial depth) for HPDE events.
The 3mm difference between the 54mm and 51mm radial depth pads isn't going to cause you any serious problems most likely. The calipers in our smaller CP8350 kits that we sell for some applications take pads ranging from 39mm to 50mm. I've seen guys run that entire range. The 39mm is definitely not something we'd recommend, but I haven't heard of any issues in terms of major disc cracking. I think a large part of that is that the AP Racing discs are extremely stout.

From the practical side, here's what's going to happen. When you run the shorter 51mm pads, they're going to wear down the face of the disc at their bottom edge. When you swap over to the taller 54mm pad, that pad is going to sit on top that lip that has formed on the disc face. They won't be sitting completely flush, and that little ridge will cut into the pads and give you a little bit of funky wear on the bottom edge. You may get a little crumbling on the bottom edge of the DS2500 as well, but that's ok as long as the bulk of the pad puck remains intact.

Given that the funky bit of wear will be on your mild sport pads when you're just tooling around at low speeds, I wouldn't expect any problems at all. In other words, you should be good to go. The situation is not ideal, but I wouldn't expect any issues.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50