View Single Post
      11-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Again, I disagree with your thoughts on a "proper" tune. Some set-ups on cars prefer to run rich up top with a lot of timing, while others prefer to run lean with less timing. In the end, a "proper" tune is the one that makes power w/o knock and provides the powerband that the customer is looking for. A good example of this is two GTR's that we just tuned. Both made 515-520whp with just a flash. However, one car like to run 11.8:1 at redline , while the other made better power running high 10's. Each vehicle is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Each car/mods is different and each tune should be different, but the AFR after the tune should be similar on each car. I have tuned cars, and I have looked at many dyno plots and AFR plots. Running extra rich to add more timing is not the proper way to tune a car. You shouldn't be using unburnt fuel to stop detonation from running too much timing. That is a cop out or a way around the problem. The car has a knock sensor if it is running too much timing it will pull timing on its own. He should be running the most timing he can without getting detonation and have a close to 13:1 air fuel ratio. I'm hoping Powerchip can explain these air fuel plots or someone else who was tuned can post theirs up. Personally if after my car was tuned I saw an air fuel plot like that I would be asking the tuner WTF which TLud has. I await his response.
Appreciate 0