codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Don't you think this issue being relevant for 3-4 months and having not gotten worse or better it's not the starter? If it was the starter wouldn't it have gotten worse over time?
I myself had similar issues with my starter for a few months before I replaced it.

Depends how much driving you do.

If you trust your mechanic, then follow what they say I suppose. But I predict an expensive CAS replacement followed by a starter replacement after.

Diagnosing this problem is really simple and I'm surprised they haven't tried this.

1. Pull the intake plenum off (10 minutes)
2. Access starter solenoid control wire
3. Have someone cycle the start button and check for voltage on the signal wire at the starter.

If it fires everytime, it's the starter.
I drive the car daily. They mentioned since it was intermittent, the testing they want to do needs to be done while the car doesn't start. They said that once the car fires up, all testing done while the car is in working condition won't matter since the car thinks it's fine. So they want me to drop the car off for a day so they can replicate the problem. I'm going to take it to another shop locally here just to get a second opinion. I'd actually be happy if it was the CAS as the replacement is easy and part is similar in price. The starter replacement seems dreadful lol
Appreciate 0