01-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Hi Guys like the thread says I would like see what others think and share what I have personally seen and felt.

Right now I have only seen 3 companies that have this type of kit.

1. G-power has a many vids on their kit and have v-box run vids. Which I think it a good proof that the kit actually works and is fast. Yes they have blown 2 engines in the USA but those are the only SOLID proof that I have seen G-power blowing motors. So on G-power's case there are good and bad things to say on the market.

2. ESS have done a couple of cars. How many I don't know But 1 thing seems to pop in my mind. I have only seen 1 vid of the ESS kit in action and I didn't think it was doing that well. So If ESS people are out there please make some more vids some more v-box runs. At least this way we know what your kit can REALLY do. I think most people don't like guessing.

3. Gintani I have seen in person its very very ROCK solid!!!!!! i have sat in the car and I have seen vids on how fast the car is. Now the only thing is that Gintani has to make is some v-box runs. I also personally seen Gintani have round 6 S65 S/C kits. It seems to me that they have the most S/C kits for the S65 on the US market so far.

So what do you think is the best S/C kit on the market. AND WHY DO YOU THINK ITS THE BEST S/C KIT
Eugene,

If you are basing an 'opinion' on which supercharger kit is better (based on Youtube video clips), then your CRITERIA is seriously flawed my friend.

Vids are nice, but they should never be used as definitive 'proof' of anything...

Any supercharged M3 will look fast in a video clip.

Video clips (in general) can be terribly misleading...

I always focus on experience (and a proven track record over time) as the single most important factor in my decision making process.

Bottom Line: Experience in this aftermarket parts category makes a huge difference if you want to avoid serious problems later on.

When you break down your final decision as to which supercharger kit to buy, it should be based on tangible details like:

1) The quality of all the hardware components used (how well they fit and work together)

2) The power the supercharger kit makes at a given boost level. (while maintaining safe AFR's) ; A well designed supercharger kit is not only powerful, but it's also very EFFICIENT. What I mean is...the supercharger that makes excellent power across the entire rev band (with low boost pressure) is a better design. It allows the engine to produce more power with LESS HEAT. (IAT's stay within a manageable range) This is very difficult to achieve, and it requires a lot of good engineering and R&D on the front end of the project.

3) Tuning ability and experience (in-house vs. out-sourced) Our M3's equipped with one of the most sophisticated engine management computers in the world. (Semiens MSS60) Again, experience matters in regards to this specific detail. How many years of experience does the tuner have in writing BMW forced induction software? How many different BMW's has the tuner been able to write forced induction code for? The answers to these questions are very important, and they should have a bearing on which supercharger kit you choose. Tuning is one of the most crucial elements in the performance and safety of any supercharger kit. If the tuning is not spot on, serious engine problems will result. (sooner or later)

4) Ability to avoid (and properly troubleshoot) complex FI induced issues like chronic overheating of the engine or transmission, cold start or poor idle control, cylinder misfires, dangerously lean AFR's, limp mode, poor vacuum or boost leaks, etc.

5) The number of years a given company has been building FI kits for your particular marque brand. (BMW, Mercedes, Audi)

6) The product engineering innovations that were incorporated into the product during the research and development phase. The intercooling method used in the forced induction kit is of particular interest to me, because of it's profound effect on making good consistent power. (without overheating)

7) Was extensive in-house testing done on the FI product (on their own test mules) prior to it's release to the general public. (this is a serious pet peeve of mine! )

7) The company's track record on resolving customer service related issues.

8) The total price of the supercharger kits you are considering.

9) The warranty protection that comes with the supercharger kit. (largely overlooked by many FI customers until it's too late)

10) The amount detailed information (and official product specifications) the company has released to the general pubic. This is the only way you can ever make a true apples-to-apples comparison between a number of competing brands. If this detailed product information is not available (in the public domain), that is usually a red flag IMO. The harder you have to work to find out those important details, the less likely I am to buy a given product. "secrecy" or 'mystery' surrounding a product is not an option when you are asking someone to pony up 10-15 thousand dollars. Every top-tier brand (in any aftermarket performance category) will publish/release the detail of their aftermarket products. (without exception
)

The free flow of information allows the consumer to judge for themselves which product is truly the best option for there individual needs.

Your final decision should be based on the information collected about each of the individual brands you are considering. I caution everyone about allowing your emotions to factor into this process. That is a very dangerous thing, as it will certainly cloud your judgment in these matters.

Take a serious look at all your FI options, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and choose the best one on based on the above criteria.

Unlike many BMW enthusiasts, I never get caught up in the all hype about a particular product or brand name. I simply take a clinical approach in making my final decision in relation to aftermarket parts. I have always believed this is a much better method, than using unreliable 'feelings' to guide your decision making process. This typically leads to expensive mistakes, that ultimately cause a number of unnecessary headaches down the road.

It is possible to avoid those situations (to a large degree), if a more comprehensive and straight-forward approach was applied to the aftermarket parts you buy.

Unfortunately, most BMW enthusiasts don't apply that type of fundamental logic to parts they choose.

Having tried the "flavor of the month" method EXTENSIVELY (when I was very naive in my early-to mid 20's), I can tell you from personal experience... that approach will result in very unreliable results over the long haul.

It's certainly not the best approach to making important (and expensive) purchase decisions.

I find that most of the clients I deal with are simply 'following the herd' in regards to the products they buy. They actually believe everything they read about the marketing of that product. What's even more troubling than that... is the fact that they can't articulate WHY they are choosing one product over another.

And if they do come up with some reason...it usually amounts to utter nonsense that is not based on any of the factors I listed above. It's based on 'a gut feeling', instead of sound fundamental reasoning.

Now I know my approach is not the cool or hip way to make a decision these days. (in fact it's kind of boring)

But I can promise you this...

It will help you make far fewer mistakes in regards to aftermarket parts you buy.

That means you won't be 'trying out' parts in hopes that you'll end up liking it. (and then trying to unload it in the Parts For Sale section)

Try this approach on the next aftermarket part you buy, and you'll be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

I rarely buy any part for my car that I end up regretting later.

I extensively research every product I buy in excruciating detail, and I leave no stone unturned.

I remove all the 'mystery' and 'hype' surrounding any FI product, by cutting straight to the details I listed above. (1 through 10)

No muss, no fuss, and most importantly...NO BS.

Bottom Line: Experience in the aftermarket parts business does make a huge difference in the overall quality of the finished product. That experience can help you avoid serious (and expensive) problems later on.

BTW: The only 'emotion' I want to feel...is the joy I get from picking the right aftermarket part the FIRST time around.

Cheers Eugene.