View Single Post
      12-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
No kidding. Can they be done with the subframe in the car? As in, one bushing at a time while keeping the whole thing attached?
In order to remove the bushings you need to have access to both sides of the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
^Like!^ Malek is the guy... Jellis is OK too.
Ha! You should come out to Big Willow on the 5th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I saw those on Turner's page, but that seems like they would make the car harsh on the street. At some point I'd like to replace them, but am leaning more towards the new poly bushings. Back in my Acura days, we used to make 85A shore poly bushings ourselves for our Legends. I'm hoping that someone will make a poly diff bolt bushing to replace the foam rear diff bolt bushing, as that is just straight ridiculous.

Please report back to us in a few months and let us know if you still feel they're suitable for daily driving.
There is no harshness associated with the solid bushings. I am sure the rubber bushings absorbed a very small amount of vibration but I honestly cannot tell the difference. I drove from Yuma AZ to SoCal for the install and then drove back the same day and noticed no new harshness. The concern most people have is the sound that is transmitted to the cabin. What you get with the solid diff bushings is a little more diff sound. However, its very quiet and sometimes non existent. It sounds like roots/twin screw supercharger whine.

Anything is better than the foam diff bolt bushing that comes with the car. The solid bushings are great because I will never have to drop the subframe again. They will last forever and the mounting bolts will never have to absorb shear forces from the rubber/foam flexing under load.

Keep in mind that BMW has moved to solid subframe mounting points for all new generation M cars. The E92 M3 GTS, new M5/6 and incoming M3/4 all come with solid subframes. From what I understand the new M cars all have solid rear diff mounting points. The front mounting points are rubber while the rear point is solid.

My daily is an E36 M3 and I have some solid Turner bushing waiting for that car as well.