View Single Post
      10-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #1383
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Are we actually sure that the M Performance versions of future UKL-based models will be designated as M35i?
We are as sure as we are about any of the other model names, I’d say. It is all from the same sources, as far as I know. I’ll let ynguldyn have the final call of course, but both he and SCOTT have used the M*35i name to refer to the vehicles coming to the UKL M Performance range.

Quote:
If we look at current models which will eventually all become UKL-based (1 Series, X1...), their highest non-M Performance version is designated 25i and rated at around 230ps. For instance there is no more 130i as the next step above 125i is directly the M140.

Since there seemingly won't be any more UKL-based models designated 30i, isn't it possible that the M Performance versions will take that blank spot and be labeled M30i instead of M35i?
Two important points you didn’t mention here.

- The 25i UKL models are and will continue to be called 28i in the US. So the M30i designation would not really work because it would not create the necessary separation between the two models from a marketing standpoint.

- Former N54 and N55 powered models with ~300hp were designated *35i. So M35i fits in nicely in that we expect about that much power from the new high output B48.

The part that doesn’t make sense to me is the current discrepancy in naming between North America and ROW. They should just pick 25i or 28i and use it everywhere. I suspect the reasoning behind 28i being used for the X1 in the US was that they didn’t want the F48 to seem like a step back from even the lowest end E84 on our shores which was the 28i. In the rest of the world, I believe there were other E84 X1 models - 20i and 25i, IIRC - that the F48 could more naturally be slotted in against as a successor. We didn’t get those here so the new one needed to be tweaked in name to succeed the E84 28i. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0