View Single Post
      10-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #342
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The stock bolt torque procedure is tedious. It probably adds an hour or maybe even an hour and a half to the job. But there is no good reason to screw it up and if you are a careless person you should not be doing the job in the first place. Stock bolts were about $200 cheaper than ARPs and there were some uncertainties about ARPs when I did mine in 2014, so I figured using stock bolts was like paying myself $100+ per hour for the extra time and removing the uncertainty. I also figured I would never do the job again so reusability was not considered.

I did the job again a year later helping someone else and we used VAC supplied ARPs and that was much less tedious and he paid for the bolts and I was helping for a little less time.

As it looks now, I may keep the car a few more years and if I do, I will probably do the bearings again in a few years. I will probably use the BE bearings and ARPs that time. Also hoping someone comes out with main bearings. I would do those at the same time as further preventative maintenance. And probably the clutch as well since the trans has to come off.
Appreciate 0