07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #64
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
I just got the OS Gikken fitted to my e92. They also installed the turner solid subframe bushes and derlin diff bushes. However, there is CONSIDERABLE whine from 40mph up with the windows up. It is unreasonable at 80mph freeway driving. I dropped the car back to them to diagnose/fix it. Also they used just regular diff oil where Gikken stuff is 80w-250. Would this make a difference?

Is the diff not setup right or is it the derlin diff bushes or both? Do you have the spec for the differential backlash et al? Any help is appreciated. The sounds sounds like a poorly setup diff from my friends old mustang. Thoughts? Thanks!

Here is what I found for the specs. Can you confirm this is right so they can confirm setup? Also, they setup the backlash by feel, e.g. rotating the input shaft and flanges to feel the play. Sound screwy?

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=340871

In theory, yes, a thinner fluid might be noisier. If OS Gikken recommends 85w250, that's what I would run. I wasn't even aware something that thick was sold. You may also need even more friction modifier to quiet it down, but I would start with the proper gear lube first.