View Single Post
      09-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #59
jaeS4
Private
Rep
Drives: s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
(a Bruce Quote "the M-DCT is an automatic, by virtue of having two pedals and no-shift driving.") Is that the best you can do?

I knew when you were finally cornered, in how flawed your arguement is, that you would start lashing out with insults. Predictable and laughable. Your whole premise is, that if you have the option to put your SMG/DCT into an auto mode, therefore that makes it an automatic. So I used YOUR logic, that if you have an automatic(Tiptroronic/Steptronic) that gives you a MANUAL mode option that allows you to determine when the transmission will make it's gearshift via paddle shifters, that it therefore could be referred to as a manual.

The main difference between SMG/DCT and automatic transmissions is the primary function it was designed for.
1. The SMG is trickle down technology used in F1 racing. The purpose of automating the clutch action is to increase the speed in which gearshifts are made. The SMG II in my E46 was the exact same transmission found in the 6MT with the addition of hydraulics/electronics to automate the engaging/disengaing of the clutch. It is first and foremost a manual(with the auto option).
2. Steptronic-type automatics are the total opposite. They start out as automatics and additional hardware/software is added to allow the driver some control over the gear shifting, but it's primary purpose is to function as an automatic.

Your arguement is just like saying chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream are both ice cream therefore chocolate is the same as strawberry. Faulty logic. Manual and Automatic transmissions have definately taken a step towards each other but it doesn't make SMG=Steptronic. Just take my original advice, go buy an AUTOMATIC Fit!
If you really think about it, the only actual manual process that you do on a DCT, DSG, and SMG is pulling the + or - lever. Everything else on the DCT is engaged "automatically". It changes the gears automatically/electronically and engages the clutch automatically/electronically as well. Do you honestly think that makes it a manual transmission? Isn't it the same process that you do on a C63 or IS-F transmission when put on "manual mode" except for the part that they have a torque converter instead of course. Now, i'm not saying they're the same as the DCT transmission, not at all. It's kinda funny when someone tries to explain how it works, "It's actually a real manual transmission but it does everything for you automatically".
Appreciate 0