View Single Post
      11-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Haha, someone else who get's it. I am the same way, and I'm glad there are other people out there thinking the same way I do. It seems most of the time when I tell people the same thing about these devices, I am met with either laughs or a blank stare. I guess people don't care about their privacy anymore, or they don't understand exactly what kind of information they are giving up and the implications it may have.
Exactly. I hate anything cloud related to include storage. Why would you want to voluntarily hand over the keys to things you value such as intimate details of your personal life?

To provide proof about what can happen when you place a device in your home with access to your network, this is what I found out personally. I had a network attached printer, an Xerox 8560MFP/D to be exact. I set the eco mode on it so it would put itself to sleep to save on power. To my surprise, the printer was waking out of sleep mode every 15 minutes. I thought what the heck? Anyone who is familiar with these Xerox printers, know that they use solid ink sticks which require to be melted. Every time the printer wakes up, the printer draws a ton of power to start up the heating elements which in turn causes ink to be wasted as it's a by product of the heating element firing up.

Annoyed by this, I decided to sniff the network traffic going to the printer to figure out what is hitting the printer and waking it up. After sifting through the packet capture with Wire Shark, I found the culprit. It was the DirecTV DVR I had installed. The DVR was snooping the network and figured out there was a web server running on the local network. The captured data showed the DVR was sending HTTP GET commands and pulling hardware information from my printer. I had an immediate WTF moment. Upon discovering this, I isolated the DVR from the rest of my network.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50